I was so delighted when I came across this heart-healthy recipe for waffles (adapted from www.cookieandkate.com).
Not only are these good for your heart and gluten-free - they're also decadently delicious! I love having a waffle with a dab of greek yogurt, fresh fruit, a side of bacon, and a fresh cup of coffee.
1 ½ cups oat flour (certified gluten-free if necessary)
½ t. baking powder
½ t. sea salt
Pinch of cinnamon
¾ c. almond milk (I use Orgain for added protein)
5 T. butter, melted
2 T. maple syrup
1 t. vanilla extract
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: oat flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: milk, melted butter, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Let batter rest for 10 minutes (so the oat flour has time to soak up some of the moisture).
4. Plug in your waffle iron to preheat.
5. Pour batter onto the heated waffle iron and cook until golden brown.